Sparrow Inspiration

Does God have a purpose for me? Its a question I've pondered over and, well... agonized over for years. It seemed that God had used every avenue possible to convince me. Faith is a very crucial factor, I know. But since I couldn't see it, didn't feel it, it seemed too hard to believe it.  

More than one year ago, a friend penned these words to me:

          You're too talented to follow in anyone else's shadow.
          You're too valuable to live someone else's destiny.
          You're Lorina... and God has plans for you!

I wondered if my friend was right. A destiny seemed hard to believe in when today seemed like nothing special. But my friend's words remained tucked away in my mind, only to surface later on when I heard "A Sparrow Song" written by Alison Brook.
I wasn't sure about this song when I first heard it...
But I came to see in this song a message that has impacted me greatly. Here are some of the words:

I'm a sparrow bird
Unimpressive size, not great
It seems almost absurd
That my Creator fills me with praise
And I know He sees
Even the least of these

I'm a sparrow bird
My colors aren't fair or fine
My beauty's not preferred
But I am His and I know I shine
And I know He sees
Even the least of these

Oh, how I identify with that little sparrow... Though I may not be the biggest, the brightest, the boldest... whatever the "est" is, that doesn't discount a plan, purpose, destiny from the Creator.
God's purpose for me was designed with me in mind.

It's okay to be one of "the least of these". The goal is not to be someone we are not, but to be the person God created us to be. The goal is not to strive to be great, but to be like Jesus.
And if that's one of "the least of these", it's okay.

The little sparrow displays a level of contentment, humbleness, and praise to God that a king would envy. And God will bestow upon us those qualities if we first give ourselves to Him.

Does God have a purpose for me? A journey of years, but I can say with utmost assurance that yes, He does. And there is beauty in the fact that it's not just for me, but for you. Then, like two little sparrows, together we can sing praises to God saturated with the simplicity of contentment, humbleness, and gratitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to Resilience: Determined to Grow

(Re)Defining Me